Filing a Discrimination Grievance Based On Disability

    Students have the right to file a discrimination grievance based upon disability. These guidelines provide information on how to proceed if a student believes they have been denied equal access in the form of appropriate accommodations, modifications, auxiliary aids, or effective communication or suffered discriminatory harassment as described in Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. These guidelines are not mandatory and students may proceed with their complaint at any of the levels listed below. A complainant is not required by law to use the institutional grievance procedure before filing a complaint with The Office of Civil Rights (OCR) of the U.S. Department of Education; however, both the OCR and the university encourage using internal grievance procedures before filing a complaint with OCR.

    Level One

    Discuss concerns with the director of Student Accessibility Services.

    The director of Student Accessibility Services will attempt to resolve the issues causing concern by assisting the student in discussing issues with the faculty member, department, or program, participating in such discussions, or calling the faculty member and/or head of the department in an effort to clarify and resolve issues. In some instances, the Student Accessibility Services adviser may be consulted in the process of developing a resolution. Most situations are expected to be resolved through the director's support and mediation. The student and involved parties will be notified by the director of progress, findings or resolution within 10 business days. Due to the urgency of many issues, it is likely that many problems will be resolved much sooner.

    When a student has a grievance against the director and/or a staff member in Student Accessibility Services, the student should first discuss the grievance with the director. If for a specific reason the grievance cannot be discussed with the director, the student may proceed directly to Level Two.

    A student, who is not satisfied with the resolution at Level One, may choose to proceed to Level Two.

    Level Two

    If a student believes that a satisfactory resolution has not been reached regarding his/her grievance at Level One, the student may file a grievance with the Clark University Grievance Task Force by contacting the Director of Student Accessibility Services.

    A student who is not satisfied with the resolution at Level Two may choose to proceed to Level Three.

    Level Three

    If the grievance is not resolved at the university level, the student may choose to file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights.