To communicate the related policies for members of the University who are funded by grants, and to provide guidelines for grant related expenditure.
- In the process of applying for the grant, the Principal Investigator (PI) or potential grantee must contact the Office of Sponsored Programs and Research (OSPR).
- In the post award stage, the grantee's budget is set up by the Grant Accounting Office.
- General Instructions
- If the Principal Investigator has established a more detailed budget than that supplied to the award agency, the grantee may contact the Grant Accounting Office at email@example.com or (508) 421-3756 for clarification and further information.
- In the case of a multi-year grant, budgets are only input on a yearly basis. The Grant Accounting Office is available for assistance with reading its specifications.
- Once a grant has been awarded, the PI may conduct related accounting processes. These processes include purchases, reimbursements, cash advances, budget reports, and related questions. Budget reports can be viewed via CUWeb.
- Confirm reporting dates with the Office of Business and Financial Services in order to have interim and/or final financial reports sent to the reporting agency in a timely manner.
- Grant related travel expenses
- For grant-related travel, the grantee may request a cash advance (XLS file) prior to the trip.
- For reimbursements incurred during a grant-related trip, a travel expense report must be filed and submitted via SmartBuy Plus. Instructions on filling out a travel expense report are available in the Travel Guidelines.
- Other grant related expenses
- Grant funds are also used, where applicable, for related purchases of supplies and equipment. In order to make these purchases, the grantee must submit a purchase order via SmartBuy Plus.
- Grant funds may also be used as payroll for the grantee and/or people hired to work on the funded project. For employees to be paid by a grant a Grant Payroll Authorization form (PDF) must be completed and submitted to Grant Accounting for processing.
Grant and Contract Accountant
153 Woodland St., 2nd floor
151 Woodland St., 1st floor, Suite 101